Translate

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Final Post- Blogfolio: Assignment and Course Reflections


Introduction Video
This assignment required being paired with another student in class. We were told to go outdoors and record a thirty second presentational video of one another through a cellphone. After recording, come indoors and upload the video onto our blog site. I was very nervous about doing this assignment. Mainly, because I’m not sure how to describe myself and secondly because I am camera shy. I will integrate this assignment into my future teaching for the reasons I was first intimidated about this assignment. I believe if students begin early in life describing their strengths then it will come natural introducing themselves. I feel this assignment met the NETS-T standard 1 because the standard clearly says facilitate and inspire students learning and creativity in face-to-face and virtual environments. This assignment clearly challenge my thoughts and thinking process. I had to determine how to extend my speech so it met the required time limit and get over my fear of public speaking. But I did not have to do this alone, I had a partner who helped with the brainstorming of ideas. In my opinion, using digital tools to present is much better than standing in front of a crowd. It eases the tension of nervousness and provide a lot of room for do over. This was my first time uploading a video from a cellphone onto a desktop. It was challenging in the beginning but as I stated earlier I was paired with another student from class. Where I fell short, she surely picked up the slack. I feel learning from one another is motivational and will create long-lasting results.

Concept Mapping
This was a very interesting assignment. Before beginning this assignment, I have never heard of concept maps. So when the instructor introduce the assignment, I felt lost. We used the Inspiration 8 software to create the concept map. Thank goodness this software provided tutorials and templates for referencing. The assignment entail thinking of a subject I can teach upon graduation. I chose sign language, only because I figured no one else will and because I’m a little familiar with the subject. I had to create a visual map of the subject by providing topics and subtopics, graphics, and hyperlinks. The formatting was the same as in MS Word but I encountered a problem changing the hyperlink color from the default color. I also ran into a problem locating my concept map after closing the program, I did not pay attention to where I saved the file. After completion of the map, I had to make a presentation incorporating the concept map created with the Inspiration software. This assignment was engaging and fun and it equipped me with another presentational tool I can use to engage the class I plan to teach. I feel this assignment meets the NETS-T standards 1, 2, and 3. Mainly because, it inspire students learning and creativity, incorporate digital tools to maximize content learning, and used as a collaboration tool for students and peers to facilitate learning.

Creating a Teacher’s Web Page
I have had previous experiences creating web pages in other IT classes. So this was a very relaxed and pleasurable project. In all of the IT classes, the Web site project came from a different source. So I am fully equipped with an abundance of experience in a number of Web-authoring programs. This assignment involved creating a Web page for a future classroom using Google Site Creator. The only difference in this project versus the others is that I had to include a calendar from the Google calendar app and include a YouTube video. I do not recall any weaknesses preparing and completing this project. The Web site included four Web pages at the least, a home page, course information page, personal page, and Web resource page. This project required me to do a lot of brainstorming, researching, and being creative. My topic for this project was Computer Discovery. I had to think of a unique way to create a website for students about the course, NETS –T standard 1. I was able to research the required course materials and class rules on the Internet. And as for my personal page, it was set up in a resume format, very creatively. I do believe I will use this resource in my future teaching career, as a way for students and parents to keep track of what is going on in class. Also, as a way students and parents to receive additional help on a particular topic, NETS-T standard 3. I feel this assignment met the NETS-T standards 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. NETS-T standard 2 states incorporate digital tool and resources to promote students learning and develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals. As a result, this will inspire professional growth, a NETS-T 5 standard. The Computer Discovery resource page should satisfy NETS-T 4 standards.

My Movie Story
This is another assignment I have had previous experience with. In this class, we had to use Windows Movie Maker to create a movie using no less than ten personal images. From the beginning I was distraught about what my movie was going to be about. I have a lot of family pictures and I did not want to make a movie of my life. So I looked over my photos and decided to make a movie of my Bahamas trip. I did encounter a problem when attempting to upload this project on my blog. The problem was simple but it took a day to figure out. I saved the project with the wrong settings so when I attempted to upload, I kept getting a message saying the file was too large. To fix this problem, I deleted a few pictures and shorten the length of each slide numerous of times until I ended with a movie that did not fully tell a story. The next day when I came back to the project, I realized that my saving settings were wrong. So I added all the slides back to my movie to successfully tell my story. Since I am majoring in technology education, I feel I will come across this program in my future lesson plan as a teacher. If not, this will be a great resource to utilize for Black History month. I feel this assignment met the NETS-T standard 2a because this digital tool promote student learning and creativity.

Turnitin (Social, Ethical, Legal, and Human Issues)
This was a two part assignment, where I had to upload a copied and revised version to Turnitin.com. I was first told to copy text from articles about a particular subject and paste onto my document. Once the document is complete, submit it to Turnitin.com and view the results. My score on the copied version was ninety two percent plagiarism. After receiving my score, I was told to revise the document in my own words and resubmit to Turnitin for an originality score. This time my report reported zero percent plagiarism. Turnitin is a digital application for evaluating student work and providing feedback. It is a good tool to teach students about copying and pasting. This application show the student the results of copying information directly from other open sources and pasting directly into your document. I am sure I will share this experience with my future class so they will know the results of copying and pasting. I feel this assignment met the NETS-T standard three and four. Mainly, because teachers transfer the knowledge of plagiarism in a digital society by using digital tools and resources. In addition, Turnitin combined with teaching instructions will reinforce a student’s respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources

WebTools
I believe this was my favorite assignment of all because I feel I learned so much. This assignment was entertaining, educational, and enlightening. This assignment required me to create an online rubric, quiz, and bookmarks. To create the online rubric, we visited RubiStar. RubiStar is a tool to help the teacher create rubrics from existing rubrics in a short amount of time. This will be a great asset for me as a future educator because of the ease and freedom to customize an existing rubric very quickly. I also will like to allow the students in class to participate in making a rubric as a class assignment to evaluate their own work. The BigBus Testmaker is a great educational tool used to reinforce the knowledge learned in class. This part of the assignment required me to create a ten question online quiz for future students. TrackStar.com required a little more of my time because of the researching process. First, the TrackStar tool is new to me, so I had to read a tutorial to find out how to use this site. Next, I had to research the resources I was going to place in the Track. I found five fun educational related sites, provided annotations and hyperlinks, so as to connect my students to additional online help. I do feel as a future educator I will integrate this tool in the studying environment. I feel the WebTools assignment meet both the NETS-T standards two and three. Mainly, because we designed and developed digital-age learning experiences and assessments and modeled digital-age work and learning.  

Google Groups
This assignment was a nice one. It forced me to become aware of and get familiar with most of the features in my Google account. This assignment required me to use the group functions in Google to stimulate dialog between members of the group. My group consisted of three other students from class. We had to create documents, share ideas, and post and answer each other questions. I enjoyed participating in this assignment and I was unaware of this particular feature in Google which allows one to collaborate and edit another’s work from anywhere. I am pretty sure this is a valuable tool to integrate into classroom projects. This assignment united students to come together to construct ideas. I feel this assignment met the NETS-T standard 1a because we were able to promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness. I also feel this assignment met the 2b standard as well because we developed a technology-enriched learning environment in Google that enabled all members to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress. In addition, this assignment met the 3b standard because we collaborated with one another using digital tools and resources.

Course Reflection
Overall I have learned that technology is a valuable tool to stimulate learning. I was exposed to and used a lot of digital tools and resources in this class. We listen to a number of educational speakers via YouTube and read numerous educational articles relating to technology. In these speeches and readings, I learned that students have different learning abilities and respond better to encouragement rather than criticism. I learned a lot of digital acronyms with “BYOD,” bring your own device sticking with me the most. This class has had a huge impact on my education and how I interact with technology. I respond more positive to digital tools because of this class and now I feel empowered. I feel confident about going into a technology classroom to educate today’s learners because I am equipped with an array of digital knowledge and can operate a lot of devices. I am now aware of all the free educational tools available to teachers, parents, and students. I can say that I can and will create a classroom website and if possible Skype with other classes or educators to promote student learning. My area of strength will be all the technology knowledge I have gained in class. I know how to create and manage a blog and a website. I used Google Drive for file sharing, cloud storage, and collaborative editing. Dropbox was another cloud storage device I used and feel comfortable with. My area of weakness in my opinion will be public speaking and communication skills. I felt like I stumbled with my words when speaking in front of class. I plan on reading a lot of books and watching more public speaking videos for the do’s and don’ts of public speaking over summer break. On the other hand, I will more than likely be teaching a technology class since I am majoring in technology education. I do feel as if I can incorporate cellphones in the lesson plan somewhere since children carry them all the time. One thing the cellphone will be useful for is to connect to the classroom website or blog that I plan on creating. I feel blogs in education is beneficial to both the student and teacher based on convenience and accessibility. They can be viewed and worked on from anywhere with an Internet-enabled device. Blogs are easy to use and motivational. It is an excellent opportunity for students to show off their work and writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment